Trait Bug: Fast Shot doesn't work as intended

What do you think about the game? Share your experiences. You can ask other players for advice about quests, or report bugs here as well. POSSIBLE SPOILERS!

Moderators: Ratman, Seto, Saruman, feťák8, valcik, NovaRain

IvoryOwl
Neutral

Trait Bug: Fast Shot doesn't work as intended

Post by IvoryOwl »

I chose Fast Shot as one of the starting traits for my character, it doesn't work in-game. I can still do aimed shots and the AP cost is the same as without it.

Fallout 2 version (GOG): 1.02 (With Restoration Project)
Resurrection: 1.5 Eng, downloaded from ModDB
NovaRain
Liked

Re: Trait Bug: Fast Shot doesn't work as intended

Post by NovaRain »

IvoryOwl wrote:I chose Fast Shot as one of the starting traits for my character, it doesn't work in-game. I can still do aimed shots and the AP cost is the same as without it.

Fallout 2 version (GOG): 1.02 (With Restoration Project)
Resurrection: 1.5 Eng, downloaded from ModDB
What weapon did you use for the aimed shot? If it's a melee/unarmed weapon, it's perfectly normal.
Daemon
Resurrection team member

Post by Daemon »

NovaRain wrote:What weapon did you use for the aimed shot? If it's a melee/unarmed weapon, it's perfectly normal.
But still AP cost of normal and aimed shots shouldn't be the same, right?
IvoryOwl wrote:I chose Fast Shot as one of the starting traits for my character, it doesn't work in-game. I can still do aimed shots and the AP cost is the same as without it.
Did you change Sfall version in Resurrection? Or did you made any changes in ddraw.ini?
What is your second trait?
IvoryOwl
Neutral

Post by IvoryOwl »

Daemon wrote:
NovaRain wrote:What weapon did you use for the aimed shot? If it's a melee/unarmed weapon, it's perfectly normal.
But still AP cost of normal and aimed shots shouldn't be the same, right?
Did you change Sfall version in Resurrection? Or did you made any changes in ddraw.ini?
What is your second trait?
No changes at all. I merely installed the game unto the Fallout 2 folder and started playing the way it was (it created a subfolder of its own so as not to replace anything). My second trait is Heavy-Handed.
I thought it was weird because I started playing the original FO1/2 a few weeks ago and in one of my most recent builds I took Fast-Shot; it reduced the AP cost of all weapons by one, including fists and melee. It also took away the ability to do aimed shots, as it said it would. Could it be some sort of conflict with FO2's Restoration Project? Its just that the FAQ stated there would be no compatibility issues with it... :S
Daemon
Resurrection team member

Post by Daemon »

IvoryOwl wrote:I thought it was weird because I started playing the original FO1/2 a few weeks ago and in one of my most recent builds I took Fast-Shot; it reduced the AP cost of all weapons by one, including fists and melee.
That's the original Fallout 2 behavior. But Sfall, that is included in Resurrection, changes that so Fast Shot doesn't affect melee and unarmed weapons. For guns it should work the same way as in the original Fallout 2.
IvoryOwl wrote:Could it be some sort of conflict with FO2's Restoration Project?
No, Restoration Project shouldn't affect Resurrection and vice versa. That's why Resurrection has it's own subfolder.

I tried your combination of traits, just to be sure, and it works as intented for me.
What is your operation system?
Anyway, try to edit Fallout 2\Resurrection\ddraw.ini file. Find the line with FastShotFix setting. It should be se to:
FastShotFix=1
Change it to value 0. That should set the original Fallout 2 behavior for that trait.
IvoryOwl
Neutral

Post by IvoryOwl »

Daemon wrote:
IvoryOwl wrote:I thought it was weird because I started playing the original FO1/2 a few weeks ago and in one of my most recent builds I took Fast-Shot; it reduced the AP cost of all weapons by one, including fists and melee.
That's the original Fallout 2 behavior. But Sfall, that is included in Resurrection, changes that so Fast Shot doesn't affect melee and unarmed weapons. For guns it should work the same way as in the original Fallout 2.
IvoryOwl wrote:Could it be some sort of conflict with FO2's Restoration Project?
No, Restoration Project shouldn't affect Resurrection and vice versa. That's why Resurrection has it's own subfolder.

I tried your combination of traits, just to be sure, and it works as intented for me.
What is your operation system?
Anyway, try to edit Fallout 2\Resurrection\ddraw.ini file. Find the line with FastShotFix setting. It should be se to:
FastShotFix=1
Change it to value 0. That should set the original Fallout 2 behavior for that trait.
Ah, if Sfall tweaked the trait then that explains it. My confusion stemmed from the fact big mods packs like Fallout Fixt and Restoration had it but the traits remained as they were in the vanilla games. Anyway I apologize for wasting your time.
Thanks for the tip though, I think I may revert it since I'm kind of attached to my ninja melee build that can attack a million times before the enemy gets a chance.

You may close the thread if you so wish.
NovaRain
Liked

Post by NovaRain »

IvoryOwl wrote:Ah, if Sfall tweaked the trait then that explains it. My confusion stemmed from the fact big mods packs like Fallout Fixt and Restoration had it but the traits remained as they were in the vanilla games. Anyway I apologize for wasting your time.
Thanks for the tip though, I think I may revert it since I'm kind of attached to my ninja melee build that can attack a million times before the enemy gets a chance.
You may close the thread if you so wish.
In Fallout 1 Fast Shot works on both ranged and melee attacks, and that fits its decription:
You don't have time to aim for a targeted attack, because you attack faster than normal people. It costs you one less action point to use a weapon.
In Fallout 2 its description changed:
You don't have time to aim for a targeted attack, because you attack faster than normal people. It costs you one less action point for guns and thrown weapons.
(also the same in Resurrection.)
The effect should be limited to ranged weapons only, but it's bugged. Melee attacks only have the penalty (can't do called shots) but not the benefit (AP -1) in vanilla Fallout 2.
If you want the FO1 behavior that both ranged and melee attacks have AP -1 and can't do called shots, set FastShotFix=2.