Bug: Vex vs Williams

What do you think about the game? Share your experiences. You can ask other players for advice about quests, or report bugs here as well. POSSIBLE SPOILERS!

Moderators: Ratman, Seto, Saruman, feťák8, valcik, NovaRain

UNeverNo
Neutral

Bug: Vex vs Williams

Post by UNeverNo »

I first visited Vex and took the quest to kill one of WIlliams' wifes.
I thought that I could tell it to Williams but I just was offered the quest to bring him Vex' head.
So I started a fight by attacking one of the gang members and ended up by taking Vex' head.
It is now in my inventory but neither does Vex speak with me nor can I give it to him by using the menu.

How can I finish the quest (both quest lines are still open)?
Muttie
Idolized

Re: Bug: Vex vs Williams

Post by Muttie »

If you have Vex's head in your inventory and talk to William (Just to make sure: it's the two-story building in the east of the Suburbs, ground floor, the man in the green shirt) then the dialogue option "Vex is dead [give him his dead]" should be available.

The only scenario I can think of is when you've caused William to lock-down his house. In which case you can't talk to him any more, as the door is closed & locked, and you can't get in without combat. But that shouldn't happen unless you've carried out Vex's quest (to kill one of William's wives).

However, if you killed one of William's wives, and then Vex, (or vice versa), then both quest lines should remain open indefinitely (I think). In that scenario you basically would have decided to serve no master, and cast sardonic judgment (in a weird and twisted sense).

Otherwise talking to William should do it.
UNeverNo
Neutral

Post by UNeverNo »

I didn't finish any quest for Vex. I just took the first and then went to Williams.
Then I killed Vex. His head is in my inventory and I don't have any dialog option with Williams which means I can only see yellow text over his head.
Daemon
Resurrection team member

Post by Daemon »

If you didn't kill any of William's wives or any of his men, you should be able to give him Vex's head. What is he saying in that yellow text?
Can you please upload your save files somewhere so I can look into it?
UNeverNo
Neutral

Post by UNeverNo »

Muttie wrote:(Just to make sure: it's the two-story building in the east of the Suburbs, ground floor, the man in the green shirt)
Sorry guys, my bad, I overread this. I was talking to the man with the vest behind him :mad:
Muttie
Idolized

Post by Muttie »

You're not the first to miss, overlook or mix up a character in Fallout :).

I would even say it's probably one of the most common problems.

Next to questions on requirements to unlock or access.

You may try to get used to actively using the text window.
It's not intuitive behaviour in computer games, plus it's tedious (as 90% of the messages are just not important), but in Fallout that is sometimes the only source for in-game clues you'll get.
And whenever stuck (items, doors, generator, people, puzzles) there is a good chance it will give a hint or help to navigate.

Simple advice, but it's really easy to miss.