Rebirth Base - Mr Handy weapon upgrades? (Big Guns)

What do you think about the game? Share your experiences. You can ask other players for advice about quests, or report bugs here as well. POSSIBLE SPOILERS!

Moderators: Ratman, Seto, Saruman, feťák8, valcik, NovaRain

Dr_Nomz
Accepted

Rebirth Base - Mr Handy weapon upgrades? (Big Guns)

Post by Dr_Nomz »

So there's a Mr. Handy in level 3 I think, but even though I have well over 100 big guns AND small guns it won't let me upgrade anything. I even tried increasing repair but that didn't help.

I have 59 extra Skill points and Big Guns is tagged, so what gives? I tried giving Chris the plasma transformer, but aside from a sub-par pistol that didn't seem to do anything else.

I even hacked the robot so how do I get it to upgrade something for me?
Muttie
Idolized

Re: Rebirth Base - Mr Handy weapon upgrades? (Big Guns)

Post by Muttie »

I believe it's 130% science to hack it.
And then 130% Small Guns or 130% Big Guns, plus 130% repair, to use it.

The oddity was that I couldn't „upgrade“ the Sniper Rifle to a DKS-501 Pistol (…?).
Anything else (i.e. standard upgrades for Small Guns/Big Guns) was possible.
But I did not test to upgrade a 44 Magnum.

The requirements are quite high. I'm not sure why? After all, it's more like a final pit stop before the last fight. Anyway, it's another use for Tech Wizard (+20% on science & repair).

Chris (plasma transformer) only upgrades Energy Weapons, Super Cattle Prod and Mega Power Fist. I don't know if he'll do a Turbo Plasma Rifle, though, as I haven't found an option yet to obtain one without attacking the ghouls first.

Anyway, that's all I found so far.
Dr_Nomz
Accepted

Post by Dr_Nomz »

Man, I have over 50 skill points available, I'm a really high level, I've had 10 intelligence the entire game, and I STILL can't get it. I even have Big Guns tagged!

Welp, time to grind. :/
Daemon
Resurrection team member

Post by Daemon »

You can have your small guns upgraded by Sabrina in Sedit and big guns by Mutant Hutner Victor or by supermutant Vatras (depends on which of them two you helped). Mr. Handy is just a little bonus thing.
Muttie
Idolized

Post by Muttie »

Actually, there is one unique scenario: When killing the super-mutants for Sebastian, but then siding with Imperial City. In that scenario, Mr.Handy is the only option to upgrade Big Guns.

However, other than that it really is rather a bonus (a last pit stop, so one doesn't have to travel all the way back to Sedit). I think the only bummer is to figure it out as it has so many variables (Small Guns/Big Guns and repair, plus science to start it up, and all are in high percentages that aren't easy to reach, especially not all together). There is some try and error before hitting on success.
Dr_Nomz
Accepted

Post by Dr_Nomz »

Yeah I just wandered the bottom 2-4 squares on the south west parts of the map, going from the farthest western edge to as far as the Mutant Camp and grinded the Deathclaws and Super Mutants, which gives about 3K+ experience, which made it fairly simple to get all the necessary skill points, if very tedious and slow.

Then again I did have Divine Favor, 25 INT and went with the "Tech Wizard" perk, so maybe it would be worse for other players...
Muttie
Idolized

Post by Muttie »

I don't think so.

Only on a first play-though.

Once you know what you need and plan for it, it becomes quite manageable. You could invest all your cash and loot in repair and science books (swords to plowshares!), spend a few points to bump both skills to about 110%, and then pick Tech Wizard. The only skill left to raise is your favoured weapon skill (Small or Big Guns).

It's not difficult, once figured out. It's just the figuring out part that can be tricky.