Lucy Carpenter's necklace

What do you think about the game? Share your experiences. You can ask other players for advice about quests, or report bugs here as well. POSSIBLE SPOILERS!

Moderators: Ratman, Seto, Saruman, feťák8, valcik, NovaRain

necromonger
Liked

Lucy Carpenter's necklace

Post by necromonger »

I've been given a quest to steal her necklace from Nicol in Sedit. I've been told there is 2 ways to do it. One way is to wait for her to go to the Sedit Caravan bar in the evening and steal it from her there. And another way is to go to her room in the Sheriff's compound and steal it from her there. The problem is, every time it is evening, she is not in the Sedit Caravan bar. And everytime I try to steal the necklace from her safe in her room, Lucy attacks me. So can someone give me some tips?
Daemon
Resurrection team member

Re: Lucy Carpenter's necklace

Post by Daemon »

She should be at the bar from 8 PM to midnight. Are you sure she isn't there?
I guess you're using sneak when trying to open that safe and your sneak skill just isn't high enough?
necromonger
Liked

Post by necromonger »

Daemon wrote:She should be at the bar from 8 PM to midnight. Are you sure she isn't there?
I guess you're using sneak when trying to open that safe and your sneak skill just isn't high enough?
Every time I checked for her before, it was around 1700 or 1800. I thought evening = 1700 or 1800 for some reason. LOL So after reading your reply, I went to the bar after 8 PM and she was there. Then I stole her necklace and finished the quest. Thank you for your assistance. :)
Mizikey89
Neutral

Post by Mizikey89 »

If you return their son before stealing the necklace will Lucy Carpenter still go to the bar between 8pm and 12? In my current play through this is the problem i am having. She wont go to the bar ive waited till 8pm, 9pm, 10pm, 11pm and 12. But shes still in the villa. When i speak to her she thanks me for returning her son and no other dialogue options. I only have around 30 in sneak and trying to open the safe with her in the room aggros most of the villa. Making it out alive only makes you hostile to the entire town just about. Any information or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Muttie
Idolized

Post by Muttie »

Once her son is returned she should visit the bar again. The cases that stop her visits are: Necklace stolen (& handed to Nicol), son kidnapped (until returned) and Carpenter dead.

I think stealing from the safe while she is in the room is borderline impossible. Her detection is too good.

One issue I had with the bar is that when you wait on the map, she struggles to spawn. This can be fixed by leaving/entering the map. Or by scrolling the screen on/off the spot where she should spawn.

Same at the villa actually. Scroll the screen completely on and off her room. That helps her to spawn or disappear.

So if you waited on the map without “refreshing” the screen that may be it.
Mizikey89
Neutral

Post by Mizikey89 »

Thank you for the response. I will give your suggestion a try. I have tried waiting outside of town as well and entering from another part of town but that didn't work either.
Muttie
Idolized

Post by Muttie »

That doesn't sound good :(.

Leaving and entering the map (as you described) should work too.

She can be a bit tricky to spawn, though. I had that issue repeatedly. But it always resolved in the end.

Make sure it's not another factor, like the wrong time (20.00 to 0.00, just as you said) or that her visits have been cancelled by one of three events. That happened to me a couple of times too.

If all fails, Daemon may help.
Mizikey89
Neutral

Post by Mizikey89 »

I tried your suggestion does not seem to be working. Can you clarify a little more about scrolling on/off the screen? Do you mean moving the cursor till the buildings are out of sight?
Muttie
Idolized

Post by Muttie »

Mizikey89 wrote:I tried your suggestion does not seem to be working. Can you clarify a little more about scrolling on/off the screen? Do you mean moving the cursor till the buildings are out of sight?
Yes. Specifically her room (at the villa) or her table (at the bar).

Basically, it seems not possible for Lucy to appear or disappear while on screen.

I often rested at the villa or bar, with the screen on her spawning spot, and she wouldn't leave or appear. And then I noticed that when I scroll away, so that her spawning spot is not on the screen anymore, and then scroll back to it, it would help her to appear/disappear.

It's like a screen refresh.

However, leaving and entering the map should do the same (refresh the screen). So you're problem may be something else.

This technique is more when waiting at the bar (by reading "waiting for love" or using doctor on healthy NPC's) and she inexplicably won't show up. Then it may help to scroll the screen off her spawning spot to allow her to be added to the bar.

ADDITION: I just remembered that there is a trick on Nukapedia that may help. I haven't tested it yet, but the detection of NPCs is based on their PE and your Sneak. So if you can't get her out of the room, it may help to use beer on her, get her PE down to 1, and then try to access the safe with Sneak. This may still need a decent sneak skill (aka „to sneak successfully“), but according to Nukapedia feeding NPC alcohol should work and may help a little. I'm not sure if it will be enough to beat her sharp eyes though.

EDIT: I tried my own suggestion (using booze), and sadly, it doesn't seem to have much of an influence on the result. 115% Sneak was still very unlikely to succeed. I'm not even sure what the test is. It seems she checks everytime I manipulate the safe. Which can be three-times when using another method than Lockpick (i.e. LK springs the safe open, then you need to close it, and then you open it again to access it).
Mizikey89
Neutral

Post by Mizikey89 »

Thank you for all the help, unfortunately nothing worked. I Didn't bother to try giving her alcohol because my sneak is very low. It's a little disappointing as that is the only quest not crossed out and i know Nicol gives 1 or 2 more quests after stealing the necklace.