Too hard encounters

What do you think about the game? Share your experiences. You can ask other players for advice about quests, or report bugs here as well. POSSIBLE SPOILERS!

Moderators: Ratman, Seto, Saruman, feťák8, valcik, NovaRain

killgor
Neutral

Too hard encounters

Post by killgor »

I'm level 3, did the quests in new hope and now I'm in Rat Hole and got the quests with the medical supplies and the ammo. I have not enough money, so i've thought, i go to Sedit and see wether i can get XP and money there. But there is an encounter with 4 Ghouls, i really can't beat. Any tips? Sorry for my english, i'm from Germany.
Daemon
Resurrection team member

Re: Too hard encounters

Post by Daemon »

Search thoroughly Rat Hole for the resources. When you hold shift, items on ground are highlighted. If you don't mind ethically questionable actions, steal from others or dig some graves :-)
Anyway, you don't have to beat those ghouls in the encounter. Run away!
Esarn
Neutral

Post by Esarn »

1.Get a small fireweapon
2.Hide behind the tree, in order to force the ghouls to follow you
3.As soon as they're close,shoot them in the eyes/groin/legs (it isn't easy)

They have a nice loot
ddguy71
Accepted

Post by ddguy71 »

The encounters are indeed too hard.

Too many ghouls with power armor per encounter. I often get ganked by groups of 7, 4 of whom pack power armor, flamers and laser rifles.
Minigun is useless againt Power armor as are all small guns except for Kriss.
Perhaps the SAW fares better but it is nowhere to be found.

Either AP ammo doesn't work at all or power armor's damage threshold is too high.
I loaded my minigun with 5mm ap and stood behind a mutant hunter in power armor. I had 95% chance to hit.
5mm AP ammo burst did zero damage every time. JHP did from 8 to 32.
Kriss burst did a nice 90-something damage.
Ractaros96
Idolized

Post by Ractaros96 »

ddguy71 wrote:The encounters are indeed too hard.

Too many ghouls with power armor per encounter. I often get ganked by groups of 7, 4 of whom pack power armor, flamers and laser rifles.
Minigun is useless againt Power armor as are all small guns except for Kriss.
Perhaps the SAW fares better but it is nowhere to be found.

Either AP ammo doesn't work at all or power armor's damage threshold is too high.
I loaded my minigun with 5mm ap and stood behind a mutant hunter in power armor. I had 95% chance to hit.
5mm AP ammo burst did zero damage every time. JHP did from 8 to 32.
Kriss burst did a nice 90-something damage.
I think those patrols around Rebirth base where almost all ghouls have PA are supposed to be taken when you have sniper perk and you do critical hits all the time. The same thing was with Enclave in Fallout 2.
sultangurde
Accepted

Post by sultangurde »

Tested many weapons on ghul patrols in Power armor and there is actually very few weapons that are worth it.
Found out that best strategy is plasma weapons+aiming in weakpoints (groins, eyes or head).
Currently using Turbo Plasma Rifle (35-70 damage) that i found on 2nd or 3rd level of Rebirth Base.
Decent weapon is also one from Mutant Base Boss but limited range 20yards.
Somehow miniguns, gatling, improved flamethrower or even bazooka are useless.

Anyways your best tactics regarding that patrols is actually high outdoorsman skill, that can be bolster to reasonable levels by books, that can be acquired from a girl in SEDIT (endlessly because they replenish every few weeks).
Ractaros96
Idolized

Post by Ractaros96 »

sultangurde wrote:Tested many weapons on ghul patrols in Power armor and there is actually very few weapons that are worth it.
Found out that best strategy is plasma weapons+aiming in weakpoints (groins, eyes or head).
Currently using Turbo Plasma Rifle (35-70 damage) that i found on 2nd or 3rd level of Rebirth Base.
Decent weapon is also one from Mutant Base Boss but limited range 20yards.
Somehow miniguns, gatling, improved flamethrower or even bazooka are useless.

Anyways your best tactics regarding that patrols is actually high outdoorsman skill, that can be bolster to reasonable levels by books, that can be acquired from a girl in SEDIT (endlessly because they replenish every few weeks).
I managed to kill Savior just to see what he have. Of course after that I reloaded earlier save. I wouldn't get out of base, because of forcefields (my science skill was too low to deactivate them). He had Mega Power Fist and Plasma Gatling. In means of dealing most damage in one shot this gun could be the best.
sultangurde
Accepted

Post by sultangurde »

I managed to kill Savior just to see what he have. Of course after that I reloaded earlier save. I wouldn't get out of base, because of forcefields (my science skill was too low to deactivate them). He had Mega Power Fist and Plasma Gatling. In means of dealing most damage in one shot this gun could be the best.
What level of science is required to deactivate force fields? I raised science to 83 by reading books and still too low.
Ractaros96
Idolized

Post by Ractaros96 »

sultangurde wrote:
What level of science is required to deactivate force fields? I raised science to 83 by reading books and still too low.
100. The same goes for other skills. To disarm those exploding bookshelves you need 100 traps skill. To help doctor in Corath operate that injured miner you need 100 doctor skill, etc.
sultangurde
Accepted

Post by sultangurde »

Ractaros96 wrote:
sultangurde wrote:
100. The same goes for other skills. To disarm those exploding bookshelves you need 100 traps skill. To help doctor in Corath operate that injured miner you need 100 doctor skill, etc.
Thanks for info. I noticed that i could open armory area on 3rd level of Rebirth Base right after i got 110 lockpick skill. I got loner perk (gives +10% to all abilities).
This could be either coincidence or loner skill doesnt affect quest, abilities checks.
valcik
Betatester

Post by valcik »

Have you guys considered tagging Outdoorsman skill? Tag it, pump it up to 100%, and you're golden - no more frustrating encounters, a bunch of experience points granted for every one skipped instead! There's a lot of Outdoorsman books in Resurrection, so you don't need that much skill points to become a skilled ranger. Shop smart, shop S-Mart!
sultangurde
Accepted

Post by sultangurde »

valcik wrote:Have you guys considered tagging Outdoorsman skill? Tag it, pump it up to 100%, and you're golden - no more frustrating encounters, a bunch of experience points granted for every one skipped instead! There's a lot of Outdoorsman books in Resurrection, so you don't need that much skill points to become a skilled ranger. Shop smart, shop S-Mart!
Tagging outdoorsman is worse idea than tagging traps.
However you should buy endless number of outdoorsman books from Library Girl in Sedit (they replenish after few weeks).
agris
Accepted

Post by agris »

I'm going to throw my voice in here to say that the Caravan Guard missions out of Sedit are absolutely ludicrously difficult, at least for Sedit Caravan and especially for Crimson. There should be some tense battles, and some easier ones, but as it stands now there is zero chance of finishing a caravan fight (especially Crimson) short of being way over-leveled and geared to need or care about 500/600 caps.
ddguy71
Accepted

Post by ddguy71 »

I usually get attacked by raiders with Leather Jackets and Deser Eagles on Crimson Caravan Runs.

You don't even have to fight them, just let them have a shootout with caravan guards until they run out of ammo, then finish off the remnants.
There's ZERO penalty for dead brahmins and dead guards - even better this way since you can pick up more weapons.

It's that easy.
agris
Accepted

Post by agris »

ddguy71 wrote:I usually get attacked by raiders with Leather Jackets and Deser Eagles on Crimson Caravan Runs.

You don't even have to fight them, just let them have a shootout with caravan guards until they run out of ammo, then finish off the remnants.
There's ZERO penalty for dead brahmins and dead guards - even better this way since you can pick up more weapons.

It's that easy.
Are you serious? For the Crimson Caravan heading to Albuquerque, with a PC at level 5/6, I continually ran into:
- Horde of deathclaws
- Ghouls with sniper rifles, flamers, miniguns and some wearing PA

For Sedit Caravan, I either made it to Albuquerque without an encounter or ran into a horde of deathclaw.

I reloaded 5+ times for both to find easier encounters, and never found them. The point of my post is that the caravan guards had ZERO chance of succeeding in these encounters without me. They were quickly destroyed.

Yes, the encounter you describe is easy. I never got one of those. Maybe there's something off with how the game is scaling my encounters based on plot progression?