Melee build viable?

What do you think about the game? Share your experiences. You can ask other players for advice about quests, or report bugs here as well. POSSIBLE SPOILERS!

Moderators: Ratman, Seto, Saruman, feťák8, valcik, NovaRain

eLPuSHeR
Accepted

Melee build viable?

Post by eLPuSHeR »

Hello people.

First post here.

I have been playing F2R until I got a few levels (10+ I think). I usually go the small arms scientific pseudothief route, but I have made some mistakes by selecting some unwanted perks, so my main gripe is that I am somehow dissapointed with the small arms found so far. In F2 my favourite was the FN P90 (with proper perks/levels I could shoot it a whopping six times per round [burst three times per round]), but it seems it isn't here anymore.

Warning: Spoilers may follow!!!

I was trying to do the Benicio battle and got my ass totally kicked out, even after 20 tries or so (I was aware after looking the forum that I could give my npcs some better armor). I went to clear Vault 16, and found out I was doing CRAPPY DAMAGE not only to aliens but to everyone in general.

To add insult to injury I haven't invested in energy weapons either, so... I am not in the mood of starting over yet... but, could you recommend me some small weapons loadout?

Thanks in advance.

PS - I disgress. My original question for the topic was do you still think a melee only build is viable?. I mean melee only to invest heavily in strength and leave perception somewhat at average value.
Baardhaas
Accepted

Re: Melee build viable?

Post by Baardhaas »

I'm a little confused here, your topic title is 'Melee build viable?' but your post is about small guns.

With small guns it's all about criticals, you either go for disabling targetted shots (a crippled leg causes a deathclaw to flee and a 2 handed weapon can not be wielded with a cripled arm), or you go for bursts. Without scoring a critical, small guns aren't really effective in the later stages of the game. Your opponents have to much hitpoints and dish out to much damage to engage in a prolonged gunfight with them.

Your choice of weapon depends on your action points. I'd go for something that lets you fire at least twice in a round. If you're going for targetted shots the custom sniper rifle (sniper pistol) is a good gun. It has good damage output and fires a round with reasonable armor penetration. For burst weapons, I'd say the H&k CAWS is a good choice, or the good old SMG. However, you'd probably need to be really close to your opponents for an effective burst. I found the assault rifle underwhelming and the AP ammo for it seems bugged.

As for melee weapons, they are viable, though you'll have a tougher time keeping your followers alive (the enemy doesn't seem to give much priority to a melee character, choosing your followers instead if they are firing guns). But the supersledge or the ripper are both very good weapons.
Last edited by Baardhaas on Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
eLPuSHeR
Accepted

Post by eLPuSHeR »

Thank you very much for your response.

I am trying a melee build now but I could also try the suggestions you posted for small guns. 8)
Daemon
Resurrection team member

Post by Daemon »

You can buy Kriss SMG in the Imperial City, that's quite powerful small gun.
eLPuSHeR
Accepted

Post by eLPuSHeR »

Thanks. I will look into it.