[CRITICAL BUG] Memory leak entering Suburbs in Albuquerque

What do you think about the game? Share your experiences. You can ask other players for advice about quests, or report bugs here as well. POSSIBLE SPOILERS!

Moderators: Ratman, Seto, Saruman, feťák8, valcik, NovaRain

nameless
Neutral

[CRITICAL BUG] Memory leak entering Suburbs in Albuquerque

Post by nameless »

Memory leak when entering the Suburbs in Albuquerque. It happens when entering from both Hunter's Territory and Dead District, meaning the player is stuck, unable to proceed with the game. After entering The Suburbs the game hangs; opening Windows Task Manager shows FALLOUT2 *32 using more and more memory each second. I am not sure if this can be related, but I have put A LOT of items into the fridge in Vex's building (to store them, because I couldn't carry them).

Savegame: https://mega.nz/#!CptBHLIR!9EsLNJ1vdfmF ... kkfUgv-4BE
Darek
Neutral

Re: [CRITICAL BUG] Memory leak entering Suburbs in Albuquerq

Post by Darek »

It behaves like the old "too many items bug" and running the fix for it corrected four maps.
Your save works again and I tested running back and forth between the Albuquerque maps without any new crashes.
If you want your save back in a working condition you can get it here.

The bug comes from a miss-match between the script count number and the actual amount of scripts listed in the map save file.
The "too many items bug" (actually not too many items but too many items with scripts) was caused by the game lowering the script count while failing to properly remove the scripted items from the map, when the player left it with said items.

Here something obviously caused a miss_match between script count and the listed scripts, but I don't know what. If it's too many scripted items, then the required amount of them to cause the bug seem to be considerably less than what I've seen before. Maybe something else also have an effect, but I don't know what that would be.
nameless
Neutral

Post by nameless »

Darek wrote:It behaves like the old "too many items bug" and running the fix for it corrected four maps.
Your save works again and I tested running back and forth between the Albuquerque maps without any new crashes.
If you want your save back in a working condition you can get it here.
Thank you so much! Is there some tool which you used? What did you mean exactly by "running the fix"?
Daemon
Resurrection team member

Post by Daemon »

nameless wrote:Is there some tool which you used? What did you mean exactly by "running the fix"?
I would be interested in that too.

Anyway, thank you Darek for checking the save. Is there someting we can do to prevent this from happening? I mean other than lowering number of items with script.
NovaRain
Liked

Post by NovaRain »

Daemon wrote:
nameless wrote:Is there some tool which you used? What did you mean exactly by "running the fix"?
I would be interested in that too.
Anyway, thank you Darek for checking the save. Is there someting we can do to prevent this from happening? I mean other than lowering number of items with script.
I think he used vad's fixer (TooManyItemsBug.zip).
The 'too many items bug' is fixed/prevented in sfall 3.7.
nameless
Neutral

Post by nameless »

NovaRain wrote: I think he used vad's fixer (TooManyItemsBug.zip).
Thank you for the link. It is great to hear this bug is fixed in the newest sfall version. I didn't update sfall because I thought it would be best to use the version included in the Resurrection (sfall 3.1a). I hope that in the Resurrection version 1.5, sfall is updated to the newest version too.

Was there any specific reason why sfall version 3.1a was used in the Resurrection version 1.4? Is it safe to update sfall to the newest version while using Resurrection version 1.4?
NovaRain
Liked

Post by NovaRain »

nameless wrote:
NovaRain wrote: I think he used vad's fixer (TooManyItemsBug.zip).
Thank you for the link. It is great to hear this bug is fixed in the newest sfall version. I didn't update sfall because I thought it would be best to use the version included in the Resurrection (sfall 3.1a). I hope that in the Resurrection version 1.5, sfall is updated to the newest version too.
Was there any specific reason why sfall version 3.1a was used in the Resurrection version 1.4? Is it safe to update sfall to the newest version while using Resurrection version 1.4?
The sfall in the current Resurrection v1.4 is a custom-built one. The major difference is that it changed the path for global/hook scripts from Data\Scripts to Resdata\Scripts. So replacing the included sfall with older official ones will break the mod's global scripts. The inconvenience is solved in the latest sfall (3.7.4). Now sfall will load the related files from master_patches path in the cfg file instead of a fixed directory.

BTW, the fix in sfall is only a preventive one. You still need to use the fixer for already bugged/corrupted save files.
Daemon
Resurrection team member

Post by Daemon »

NovaRain wrote:I think he used vad's fixer (TooManyItemsBug.zip).
Thanks.
nameless wrote:I hope that in the Resurrection version 1.5, sfall is updated to the newest version too.
Yes, version 1.5 will contain updated Sfall and it'll be possible to update Sfall by copying ddraw.dll file. But don't do that with version 1.4 - As NovaRain mentioned, it would cause various things not working.
Casper495
Neutral

Post by Casper495 »

Hi!
Wanted to remember old games like Fallout and installed your patch.
I have the similar problem, because upon arriving to Albuquerque I can't save the game. The program crashes each time. Also I tried to enter this city 2 ways% either with the caravan or by foot. Each time the result is the same after I ry to save. The crash also occure, when I try to get to global map.
I also tried to use your fix for maps-it didn't work as well. Also tried different drivers while launching the game-still no result.
Maybe someone could ecommend me a working link for torrent of fallout 2, which could be upgraded without glitches.
Also I am using English version of the game.

Regards
Daemon
Resurrection team member

Post by Daemon »

I assume you have Resurrection version 1.5. Bug with too many items is already fixed in it by containing newer Sfall. So that isn't cause of your problem.

What is your operating system?
Did you install Resurrection from installation exe file or from archive file? Maybe best if you send the specific link from which you have downloaded Resurrection.
Check if you have Resurrection correctly installed by checking if Resurrection files are in Resurrection folder in Fallout 2 folder. The patch to game exec should be Fallout 2\Resurrection\fores.exe

Otherwise try to run the game as an administrator if you're not doing it already.
Also isn't possible that an antivirus is interfering with the game? Some antiviruses with too draconian settings might be causing problems but usually it happens from the beginning of the game and not this late.

I won't be posting any links for warez here, of course. I can only say that Resurrection works fine with GOG or Steam version. But I can't assure you that buying GOG or Steam version will fix your problem because even so it might be in your version of Fallout 2, it could also be related to something in your computer instead.
Muttie
Idolized

Post by Muttie »

I'm by far no expert, nor do I understand your problem fully.
But...
I had a game where I could enter AQ and save, but when I tried to load my save (may be different to your problem) or enter any other map but The Subburbs the game would crash. I then moved back saves and they all had the same issue, until I used a save basically 8 gaming hours before that point, entered AQ with it, could save and load, enter other districts of the city without problem, and from that point on all the previously crashing saves started to work too.
I'm not saying this will work but you may try to access AQ and save on it from a save that doesn't crash. It may clear up the problem. If you don't have a save, perhaps start a new game, hike to AQ (take high AG/AP (for running away) and tag Outdorrman), check if it works, and then test your crashing save again.
Muttie
Idolized

Post by Muttie »

This may not be the topic of the threat but as it started here:
I had the problem again that I couldn't save when in AQ (crash), load those saves (unable to load) or enter Hunter's Territory (crash or freeze).
I said that I was able to get those saves working again. This was perhaps a tad misleadingly phrased. I can not get those saves to work that were made after the crash occurred, but I can get those saves to work from which those crashing saves were created. For example, I travel from Corath to AQ, save on AQ, which should work, and the game crashes, for some reason. One may assume it is the save but from that point on ALL my saves, including those that were previously fine, start to crash on AQ. However those “previously fine” saves I was able to get working again, by messing around with older saves and restarting the mod. And, after some more testing, it seems to be mainly a matter of closing the mod, starting it, closing it and starting it again. (I've tested this again, and it's honest to God a thing, see below.) So it is possible to avoid the crash on AQ, from previously fine, but now crashing saves. But those saves made, after the problem occurred, are probably corrupted and can't be loaded. At least those won't load for me, no matter what I do.

Here is a more detailed report:

I used (Slot06_Corath), sold the Talisman for nothing, then travelled to AQ (oddly enough without any encounter), I then talked to Dutch, ended dialogue and reloaded the save “Slot06_Corath” (as I wanted to test the dialogue again without Talisman). Then the game crashed: “instruction at 0048b1f2, ref. memory at 00000000 can't be read.”
I tried once to reproduce it but couldn't.
Instead this time I saved on AQ and the game crashed. “instruction at 00489467, ref. memory at 00000004 can't be read.” The created save (Slot17_CantLoadCorath) can't be loaded. Any attempt just informs me that the game is unable to load and returns to the main menu.
I then tried to enter from Sedit (Slot04_Sedit). Same result, crash as above, and can't load the created save (Slot37_CantLoad2Sedit).
I then tried a different character (Slot23_RatHole) same result.
However this save (Slot23_RatHole) would crash when I tried to enter Hunter's Territory. Same message as when crashing while trying to save: “instruction at 00489467, ref. memory at 00000004 can't be read.”
In case it matters, I've added the temporary files I've found in the Resurrection files after the game crashed when trying to enter Hunter's Territory: (Folder: “TemporaryCrash”).
I then closed the mod, restarted it, closed it (to check if the temporary files are gone) and restarted it. I then used (Slot23_RatHole) again, saved before AQ (Slot38_BeforeAQ) and saved on the suburbs (without crash).
Then I've tried to enter Hunter's Territory, and the game started to slow down dramatically when I was half-way up towards the NE exit grid, and then froze completely when entering it. I used (ctrl+alt+del) (and task manager said Resurrection is “inactive”, but then again that's windows, and I very much assume it's on drugs, so who knows). During a second time, I've decided to wait and after approximately 5 minutes the map would load (and that is slow, even for my 2 year old, 400 euro (inclusive flat-screen monitor) office PC, which I can only tell from my toaster by the fact that it doesn't feed me (ouch)).
I've saved the temporary files after I forced the mod to close (Folder: TemporaryFreeze).
I also have a save that kind of reproduce it, that's (Slot31_Freeze). However, it is a bit odd, and it does work frequently but not extremely consistent. I've tried so many things I can't tell what causes it. What does help (oddly enough) is to press the shift key to run (which, in this save, causes the animation to freeze temporarily). And also when entering the exit grid to HT, it helps to force the freeze by holding the shift key. However, it also froze without it, and sometimes it didn't, and I could enter HT without delay, but returning would cause a long pause of 30 seconds (black screen but for the bottom panel) and then I'm back to stop-pause animation. I'm pretty sure it is not my PC, it never did that before.)
Another odd note: This save never slowed down when entering Dead Quarters and from there Hunter's Territory. But it starts again when entering the Suburbs from HT.
It may also be noteworthy that during the freeze the map expands to the north after a while as if the new area is added to the suburbs. And then, after 5 minutes, the map finally loads and the character is transferred over.

I also added Slot36_AQFineSub for the odd scenario that if I use that one to enter HT, then load Slot31_Freeze and try to enter HT it doesn't freeze any more, but when returning to the suburbs and entering HT again it starts to freeze up again. (This may not be consistent)

I really start to suspect at this point that the whole AQ problem is somehow related to Hunter's Territory. So far all map crashes I had were to HT or from HT. (see my starship troopers reference bug report, in the first post I list the map crashes, and they all include HT.)

I also need to say that I was able to enter AQ from Slot23 previously without problems. And also the Slot04 and Slot06 saves, did had this problem once before, but eventually I was able to play AQ from those saves without problem.
This is important to note as I started to mess around some more, reloaded Slot38_Before AQ, entered AQ and saved, entered Hunter's Territory without any problem etc.

And to underline the point that it seems to be temporary files:
I then started from Slot38_Before AQ, entered AQ, dialogue 1/3/2, entered HT, crash. (mind you this save previously worked). I then started the mod again , repeated the same thing, crash, I then started the mod, closed it and started it again. Did the same as before, no crash.

I had a hard time to reproduce all this consistently, and I can't guarantee it will trigger. But the following may be the best way to do it.

The freeze should always trigger from Slot31_Freeze. I always had that one so far, only the freeze during loading HT would not always occur. But eventually it would trigger. Try switching between HT & Suburbs and use the shift key to run.
(Small note: At one point I realized that my caps lock was one. That shouldn't have an influence, but it may have been on when I saved Slot31. It's probably nothing. The shift key only forces it more reliably, but it can occur without it.)

I then tried to reproduce the crashes and it just wouldn't work consistently. Mind you it really seems as if rebooting the mod can clear up the problem. So it may need some sort of corrupting pre-set.

What does seem to work is:

Load Slot36 or Slot39 (39 may work better?). Then load Slot38 enter AQ and the game should crash:
“instruction at 0048b439, ref. memory at 00000001 can't be read.”
(Note: but as you'll see below, when I tried again, loading Slot36 did nothing, and Slot39 caused Slot38 to Crash when entering HT, but not when entering AQ. I just can't figure out what the actual trigger is.)

and

Load Slot31. Then load Slot38, enter AQ, talk to Dutch 1/3/2, and enter HT and the game should crash (hopefully, but it may not):
“instruction at 00489467, ref. memory at 00000004 can't be read.”
(Note: as this is the same message as during the "save crash", the method above should also reproduce the crash when trying to save on the Suburb map. However, when I tried it, I was able to save without crash. But I was still crashing when entering HT. Perhaps loading some of the other saves (36 or 39) first may cause the crash when trying to save from 38 after entering AQ?)
Another odd one, when I loaded Slot31 and waited the 5 minutes for HT to load and then loaded Slot38 it wouldn't crash when entering HT.

Hope, those work consistently. Otherwise you'll have to experiment with the freeze and saves (or even temporary files).

Addition: I've made one last test to check if it works. I've loaded 38, tested it (entering AQ, Dutch 1/3/2, entering HT), worked fine, I've loaded 36, then 38, it wouldn't crash. I then loaded 39, tried 38 and it crashed when entering HT (from now on crash refers to “when entering HT”). Tried 38 and it crashed. Restarted, closed, restarted, tried 38, crashed. Loaded 36, tried 38, it crashed. Loaded 31, tried 38, crashed. Loaded 38, left map, entered wasteland map, closed game, restarted, loaded 38, crashed. Loaded 36 left AQ, entered it, entered HT, loaded 39, entered and left HT, tried 38, crashed. With a new message:
“instruction at 004c5cec, ref. memory at ffffffff can't be read.” (I can only assume this was a stressed out PC trying to say ffffffffffffuck.)
I rebooted Windows, started mod, started new game (first default character), exit mod, restarted mod, loaded 23, left Rat Hole, entered it, loaded 38, tried to enter HT with shift key pressed, no crash. 38 works again.
It was probably the reboot of Windows and/or the mod (?).
However, what this exercise shows is what I originally said: the save itself is fine, it is something else that causes it to crash or work.
This is basically also how I got my saves to work again previously (bug squashing via praying and spraying). And I want to say it's the reboot, but that didn't work consistently either. Unless it is the reboot of Windows, but I was able to get 38 to work by just restarting the mod before...etc.
I think this also shows that I cannot guarantee that this can be reproduced. As I don't fully understand the actual trigger. It seems pretty irregular. Originally, I thought it's loading Slot36 first, but apparently it was Slot39 and then it crashed without loading any save beforehand. Until it started to work again.
It probably becomes easier when figuring out what it actually is that causes the crash, but it does not seem to be the save itself and probably nothing I did in game.
Note: What I didn't try, but what may have worked to, was to fix the crash by entering Dead Quarters first and HT from there. May very well have cleared it up too. At least that worked in similar cases before.

Anyway,
I'm done. I'll take a bath now. Proofread this once more. And then you try it.
I think I took this as far as I can, and someone with actual understanding of the matter should take over from here.

Here is the folder with all the saves (5,65 MB, zipped), good luck:

http://www.filedropper.com/aqcrash

P.S. Also my task manager says Resurrection is run as 32-bit. But my system should be 64-bit. Is that a problem?
Is there even a 64-bit version? I can't remember to have ever come upon that point before (i.e. if I would like to install Fallout/this mod as 32 or 64 bit version).
NovaRain
Liked

Post by NovaRain »

Not really wanting to read the wall of text nor downloading the saves, but those memory addresses:
48b1f2 is in obj_inven_free, which is called by functions that remove objects from inventory.
489467 is related to inventory count in obj_save, which is called during saving map files in save slots.
48b439 is in obj_find_next, which is called by various functions check objects in game.
Muttie
Idolized

Post by Muttie »

NovaRain wrote:Not really wanting to read the wall of text nor downloading the saves, but those memory addresses:
48b1f2 is in obj_inven_free, which is called by functions that remove objects from inventory.
489467 is related to inventory count in obj_save, which is called during saving map files in save slots.
48b439 is in obj_find_next, which is called by various functions check objects in game.
Could be the Talisman then.

The first could be caused by selling it. And then crashed by returning to the save that had it.
The second was the most common crash when saving on AQ or entering HT.
The third occured after a while when entering AQ.

Perhaps the game bugged out as I started to use and switch between saves "with and without" a Talisman in inventory. Which may have caused some sort of mess in the save files, confused them and/or carried over between them somehow.
As again the saves work and fail irregularly, not consistently.

And what is this:
“instruction at 004c5cec, ref. memory at ffffffff can't be read.”

P.S. I don't enjoy writing a wall of text either.
Muttie
Idolized

Post by Muttie »

NovaRain wrote:Not really wanting to read the wall of text nor downloading the saves, but those memory addresses:
Actually. I'm not fine.
And I'm done with being polite ala “I don't want to write a wall of text either.”

You already gave me a passive-aggressive “not welcome” comment on NMA, which I've swallowed with a bit of bitten back sarcasm. And in fact I've refrained for the most part from posting on NMA since (if I can help it).
Also this dismissive tone is very unusual compared to your other comments, which are normally more considerate and friendly.
If you really have a problem with me, than either refrain from replying, or do it with common courtesy. But I don't need any condescending remarks dropped in passing by.

EDIT: I've deleted all but the part that got quoted. I think everyone who needed to see this did, and it doesn't have to stay public.
Last edited by Muttie on Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.