New Mexico?

General discussion about Resurrection without spoilers. If you have questions about the game not concerning its content, or problems with running the game, this is the place to ask.

Moderators: Ratman, Seto, Saruman, feťák8, valcik, NovaRain

necromonger
Liked

New Mexico?

Post by necromonger »

What inspired the devs to choose New Mexico as the location of this game?
Daemon
Resurrection team member

Re: New Mexico?

Post by Daemon »

There wasn't any particular reason for it. We were just looking for area near the original Fallout 1 map that wasn't used in any Fallout game before.
necromonger
Liked

Post by necromonger »

Daemon wrote:There wasn't any particular reason for it. We were just looking for area near the original Fallout 1 map that wasn't used in any Fallout game before.
Why not Arizona, out of curiosity?
Daemon
Resurrection team member

Post by Daemon »

I wonder that myself :-) Maybe it seemed too close to California for us or maybe there was something particular that intereted us in New Mexico after all. I honestly don't remember.
necromonger
Liked

Post by necromonger »

Daemon wrote:I wonder that myself :-) Maybe it seemed too close to California for us or maybe there was something particular that intereted us in New Mexico after all. I honestly don't remember.
I guess the farther away from California, Utah and Nevada, the less likely something in Fallout Resurrection will be lore breaking.
RiC_David
Neutral

Re: New Mexico? You're God. Damn. Right.

Post by RiC_David »

Hope I don't lose karma for gravedigging here (it's not like these forums are busy so I'm guessing it's fine)

I just have to tell you how glad I am that you did choose New Mexico. The reason isn't exactly contemporary in 2017 but it's simple: Breaking Bad.

First playing Fallout 1 & 2 at age 25 in 2010, I'm not one to hurry into critically acclaimed works, and it took me until late 2016 to finally decide to watch the frontrunner for greatest TV series of all time. This just so happened to be right when I'd got to the end of my revival of the first two Fallouts (I played them for the best part of a year in 2010 then had to leave it years and years for the burnout to pass).

Fallout Resurrection and Breaking Bad went together so exceptionally well that playing/watching one left me itching to watch/play the other. The many stand-offs and tense negotiations in the NM desert so perfectly mirrored the themes and settings of F:R and then there's Alburquerque...oh man.

I went from only knowing "The A-B-Q" from the Road Runner/Looney Tunes cartoons to having it dominate my entertainment. The atmosphere of the Fallout city was so on point it would put me on edge while playing - the various factions in uneasy deadlock, the feeling of being one careless glance away from all out war, and that damn music that would make the official composer jealous...

Seriously, that music should have come with an anxiety warning! It's subtle but it's uncomfortable and while this could all work just fine in Arizona, being in the same place that Heisenberg had gone around eliminating all potential threats in growing insanity was just priceless to me. It was like the same spirit of constant struggle for power and survival had remained.

Oh and the fact that my gas boiler makes the exact same sounds as the opening of the Albuquerque soundtrack left its mark too. Anyway, you made the right decision!