Are companions' skills not supposed to increase

What do you think about the game? Share your experiences. You can ask other players for advice about quests, or report bugs here as well. POSSIBLE SPOILERS!

Moderators: Ratman, Seto, Saruman, feťák8, valcik, NovaRain

honk honk punch
Neutral

Are companions' skills not supposed to increase

Post by honk honk punch »

Both Keri and Mutt have 'gained in their abilities' several times during my playthrough, but near as I can tell nothing but their HP is increasing. I have the game set so that I directly control them in combat. When controlling them, I can see their skill levels by selecting the Character screen. Both of their skills haven't increased at all. Mutt still can't hit the broad side of a barn half the time. They both have not gained any action points either, which was probably the best thing about companion level ups in Fallout 2. Is it supposed to be like this, or have I encountered a bug?
Daemon
Resurrection team member

Re: Are companions' skills not supposed to increase

Post by Daemon »

They aren't supposed to be leveling skills. They have their important skills high enough from the start. They're leveling max HP, melee damage, damage resistance and later levels also critical chance, healing rate, damage threshold and armor class.
honk honk punch
Neutral

Post by honk honk punch »

Thanks for the explanation. It's not a big issue, since they're much more useful when I can directly control them. Even Mutt can be useful in big fights when used right.

Is Keri supposed to have a sky-high small guns skill, however? Because she has it in my game, to the point where it almost feels broken. I suspect that it might have to do with me directly controlling the companions. My main character has small guns tagged and I think it might result in Keri's skill doubling when directly controlling her.
Daemon
Resurrection team member

Post by Daemon »

Keri isn't supposed to have sky-high small guns skill. It's supposed to be 113% (hopefully I'm looking at latest version of her). I don't know if direct control can affect her skills. Try newest version Sfall if you aren't using it already. It can be something that was already fixed in it.
DoctorSticks
Accepted

Post by DoctorSticks »

I assume you are using the mod that controls party members.

The way it works, your party members are affected by your own Tags, Perks, Traits, etc... leading to them being grossly overpowered. Having your companions have Fast Shot is pretty insane, and with Bonus Rate of Fire on top, they are more powerful than you. Give Keri a Kriss, and give Gabriel Anti Material Rifle, and pretty much nothing can stand against you.
DoctorSticks
Accepted

Post by DoctorSticks »

BTW, controlling your party members is awesome. You could seriously spike the game difficulty and have that be just fine. When you can control multiple characters, it multiplies your firepower several times over.