Pet Floater?

What do you think about the game? Share your experiences. You can ask other players for advice about quests, or report bugs here as well. POSSIBLE SPOILERS!

Moderators: Ratman, Seto, Saruman, feťák8, valcik, NovaRain

Dr_Nomz
Accepted

Pet Floater?

Post by Dr_Nomz »

In the Asmodeus Cave there's a special floater, and you can talk to it if you wear the robes. BUT I can't have it do anything but attack me! Do I need lower intelligence? Because I took 2 psychos (and waited a while after taking mentats) and even with 3 or even 1 INT I still can't get anything out of it other than combat. :/ What do I do?

My stats:

EDIT: Just noticed the other thread about this topic, but it wasn't very helpful. Isn't there anyway to get him as a companion or no?
Waltuo
Accepted

Re: Pet Floater?

Post by Waltuo »

Dr_Nomz wrote:Just noticed the other thread about this topic, but it wasn't very helpful. Isn't there anyway to get him as a companion or no?
There is, but you need to be wearing the robes when you approach, have low INT, and there is also some other requirement that we are not sure of. Luck maybe? My character had 6 luck when I got the floater.

Anyway, as soon as your INT goes up the floater becomes hostile, so he's mostly there to help stupid characters get through the game.
Muttie
Idolized

Post by Muttie »

Because I just can't get anything done recently, but procrastinating endlessly. I spend a few hours today on testing Drools in game (…).

Deamon seemed reluctant to divulge all secrets back in 2016, but it's two years later, and eventually it can't be helped anyway (right?). Besides knowing the requirements can be important when going for a stupid playthrough, so:

SPOILER (I would have put this in a spoiler tag but I don't know how)
I'm 90% sure it's robes, IN 3 or less and LK 6 or more. (Unless it also needs high AG, too, but I doubt it. I used Psycho which pushed my AG and I couldn't reduce it ingame, but it's probably without influence.)
So if you play a dumb character do consider CH 2 (Mentats may cause problems) and LK 6. Which is pretty important to know as LK is difficult to adjust.

Other funny facts:
- If you have IN 4 or more, read the holodisc, wear the robes and then talk to the floater, you'll get another dialogue option “Obey!" [arms dramatically outstretched]. Needless to say it won't work.
- You can tell Drools not to eat Mutt once recruited. (lol)
- And other companions react to Drools being in the party. Keri leaves with dialogue and refuses to join until you get rid of “that thing”. Lystra is paralysed with fear (floater only), drops out of party and refuses to rejoin. And Gabriel goes mental and attacks. Which is a nice detail. Normally, it „should“ be impossible to get high and low IN companions at the same time, but it's nice they added that scenario in, just in case someone does mess around with it. I love this attention to detail. And there is so much of it in the mod.
Waltuo
Accepted

Post by Waltuo »

Muttie wrote: Other funny facts:
- If you have IN 4 or more, read the holodisc, wear the robes and then talk to the floater, you'll get another dialogue option “Obey!" [arms dramatically outstretched]. Needless to say it won't work.
- You can tell Drools not to eat Mutt once recruited. (lol)
- And other companions react to Drools being in the party. Keri leaves with dialogue and refuses to join until you get rid of “that thing”. Lystra is paralysed with fear (floater only), drops out of party and refuses to rejoin. And Gabriel goes mental and attacks. Which is a nice detail. Normally, it „should“ be impossible to get high and low IN companions at the same time, but it's nice they added that scenario in, just in case someone does mess around with it. I love this attention to detail. And there is so much of it in the mod.
This is great! I wondered if you could have both Drools and Mutt as companions at the same time.

I would like to add that a lot of characters and random townsfolk also react to Drools both in dialogue and in floats. Just take him to Corath or Albuquerque and you'll see. You can even sell him to the cage fight guys in Lost Town. I wouldn't recommend that as he is super effective in combat, but still a nice detail.

Another fun fact is that Drools will occasionally burn the critters he kills. I find this really cool and it makes me wonder if he deals plasma damage?

At any rate, the attention to detail and the way the game world reacts to your actions are truly amazing at times and it's certainly one of the best parts of this mod.
Last edited by Waltuo on Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr_Nomz
Accepted

Post by Dr_Nomz »

Waltuo wrote:This is great! I wondered if you could have both Drools and Mutt as companions at the same time.
It makes sense, seeing as how a dog would follow any character no matter their stats or karma, though it is good the clarify.

BTW Thanks for sharing all that stuff! :D Never would have known otherwise. (Wish you could take him anyway... I'd have liked to convince my group he was cool...)
Daemon
Resurrection team member

Post by Daemon »

Muttie guessed it correctly. You need to wear a robe, have IN 3 or less and LK 6 or more.