Great Game but too much grinding in the end

What do you think about the game? Share your experiences. You can ask other players for advice about quests, or report bugs here as well. POSSIBLE SPOILERS!

Moderators: Ratman, Seto, Saruman, feťák8, valcik, NovaRain

Celtic927
Neutral

Great Game but too much grinding in the end

Post by Celtic927 »

I love this mod. I can see the TLC and details that were put into it, but while I think the pacing of the first few villages and cities are excellent once you hit the Super Mutant Camp the conveyor belt that should carry the story line onward seems to break down. I felt like I was forced to do dozens of caravans just to have enough Skill points to solves puzzles. Where FO1 & 2 rewarded exploration as "1.5" reaches its conclusion it requires too much grinding for success. An example of this is that 100 Science provides a 0% chance of hacking computer in the rebirth base. I don't think anyone ever needed to put even 90 into Science in any FO game ever to be considered eligible to Hack the hardest science checks in the game. Overall, this is probably the best FO Mod ever, but I think as FO1&2 had a well paced story line that carries you along from start to finish this has a very well written story but the main quest line obscures it too often. Many of the side quest function very well, but I felt the functionality of the main quest line stutters too much and doesn't funnel the player to where he or she needs to be enough. This may just be the result of my play style but I felt the game play take a definite down turn in quality the closer I got the climax. Any thoughts?
Waltuo
Accepted

Re: Great Game but too much grinding in the end

Post by Waltuo »

I just finished Resurrection yesterday but I never felt like I needed to grind in order to beat the game. In fact, as soon as I bumped my outdoorsman to 91 with books I happily ignored every single random encounter after that. :)

Science is also one of the skills that you can bump to 91 just by reading manuals. For the couple of instances where you need to go higher than that you can just chew a mentats or two and/or use some stored skill points (at least that's how I do it - since the game never forces you to use all your skill points when you level up, I always keep about 30 of them in reserve in case I need them for anything specific). Also, none of the hacking in the base is crucial, you don't really need to do any of it, it's just there to give you some extra help. There were a couple of checks in older games where you needed science of 100+ (to get the best brain for Skynet in Fallout 2) but they too were not necessary.

As for the endgame part of the storyline, I will agree that the main villain could have been done better, but I liked the rest of the Base. :)
Celtic927
Neutral

Post by Celtic927 »

How did you infiltrate the base. I have the red key card But I can't get to the 5th floor without being attacked. I turned myself in and the Savior was like you said, a pretty lack luster villain, but even though he's a push over I thought I could just put my robe on set self destruct and peace out, but everyone is hostile now. I don't care about spoilers just kinda want to get to the ending at this point.
Waltuo
Accepted

Post by Waltuo »

Well I did have 100+ science so I hacked the computer for access all the way to level 5 (had to use some Mentats, though), but there are still other ways. You can dupe Erick into giving you his own keycard. Erick is one of the robed guys in the canteen on level 2. You will need a high speech skill to trick him (111 or 112 I think) and you'll have to wear robes in order to pose as Erick in front of the elevator guard, but his card has access to level 5.
Celtic927
Neutral

Post by Celtic927 »

Thanks for the help, but i actually just blasted a path through floors 5,3,1 and the guards outside after I killed Savior but before I started the countdown. I didn't think it was possible but some hit and run with the Guass Rifle and Turbo Plasma Rifle it just took some patience.
Waltuo
Accepted

Post by Waltuo »

I did it like this. I set the bomb near the generator on level 6 (to release the prisoners) and then let the guard take me to The Savior. I killed him and started the (loud) self destruct and fought my way through levels 5, 3 and 1. As support I had Keri and Lystra with good weapons and Power Armors, and a trusty Kriss Super V SMG for myself. I mostly ignored civilians and only fought guards that stood in my way. Took some patience, as you say, but it worked. :)
Last edited by Waltuo on Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Celtic927
Neutral

Post by Celtic927 »

I guess maybe I just missed a lot of this game. I never figured out how to get Power Armor
valcik
Betatester

Post by valcik »

Waltuo wrote:Science is also one of the skills that you can bump to 91 just by reading manuals.
Yep, works wonders with Tag! perk. Take it on level 12 and blam! 150 science without a single skill point spent on it.
Pieniek
Neutral

Post by Pieniek »

Celtic927 wrote: I don't think anyone ever needed to put even 90 into Science in any FO game ever to be considered eligible to Hack the hardest science checks in the game.
I remeber in FO2 I needed science 140% to understand medical data, which were in the doctor's computer in Vault City. I don't remeber clearly, but understanding medical data allows to make some operations to increase stats. And at the Poseidon Oil Rig it is possible to activate self destruction with science 140% (probably with 140%).
The final boss in F0 1.5 is quite hard with the perk which removes aiming. I had to add perk critical hit in unarmed combat to stun him, because I almost couldn't hurt him, and his hits were quite powerful.
F0 1.5 demands speech 120%, science 130%, repair 130% (+ maybe moderate/high unarmed skill for the unexpected for me important scenario fight) If you want to reveal a lot of hidden content (dialogues, computer information). And it is good to have high gun stats, stealing helps at the beginning, lockpicking isn't necessary in the first half of the game, but it's quite important later If you want to have the best armors for friends. It might be quite hard to achieve these stats especially during the first play. Thankfully designers solved this problem by giving option to hunt deathclaws (a lot of exp).